Hi Michael,

we previously discussed a patch for controlling the hidden state of i3bar through an i3 command. With this working, we could also define the bar_modifier as a bindsym command. I did not have time to work on a full patch for binding just modifier keys so far, but tried out some stuff. Thereby, I discovered the following problem with this approach:

When pressing a defined keybinding, the click events of the mouse are not send to the focused window until the keybinding is released. This causes a problem when trying to show i3bar by pressing a key and hiding it again by releasing the key. So, trying to click, e.g., on a tray icon would not work, as the click event is send to i3bar just after the keybinding was released. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Best
jj