Hi,

Am 17.04.2013 20:32, schrieb Michael Stapelberg:
Hi justus,

justus jonas <hap...@web.de> writes:
For this to work, we would need the following:
(1) Like Axel said, we would need the possibility to react to keypress
and keyrelease separately and would need to overload a key, so I could
use windows-key as bar modifier and still use keybinding like
windows+h.
See http://bugs.i3wm.org/query/ticket/386 for binding just a modifier
(combination). It could be as simple as changing the config file parser,
but I haven’t tested that.

sounds doable. I could look into that.

(2) With the new event for sending barconfig updates, it would be easy
to add a possibility to switch modes on the fly (also demanded in
feature request #651). This would then make it possible, to switch to
the new "forcehide" mode.
I think #651 is well handled with your current patch already. Am I
missing something?

as I understand the request, this is different from showing the bar overlaying the visible window on the bottom of the ws (just like holding down the modifier while in hide mode). It says that it should be possible to switch between dock and hide mode.

So the current hide-behaviour of i3bar using the barmodifier could be
configured like this:
bindsym $mod bar show
bindsym --release $mod bar hide
You do realize that bindsym --release does exist, right? It even works,
but I’m not sure if this specific case is handled.

ok, thanks for the hint, I overlooked that it already existed.

Best
jj