I prefer VB255 for ease of editing - especially with modern 3270 emulators
that support big-x-big geometry.

I'm shooting from the hip here as I don't have access to a machine at the
moment, but I've only ever been bitten by the "RECFM=VB plus ISPF editor"
combo once. In the mid 1990's I created a RECFM VB data file with Rexx, then
edited it with ISPF editor and found to my astonishment that if a record was
exactly 8 bytes long it was saved with a blank appended - making it 9 bytes
long! Not good for a data file! (that particular data file anyway).

Not sure if that "feature" is still lurking - I vaguely recall it had
something to do with not upsetting the PL/I or COBOL compiler which
sometimes expected sequence numbers in cols 1 to 8.

Cheers,
Andrew