From: Gilbert Saint-Flour <usenet5...@yahoo.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 3:44:40 AM
Subject: Re: CLIST/REXX Library Formats

On Friday 11 September 2009 02:28, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>>o "Industry standard"?  Not any more.  (But I can remember when ISPF (at
>>the time SPF) panels were distributed as VB;  IBM later switched to FB
>>(circa 1980?).
>
> Later, IIRC.
> I think it came out with XA.
> Also, that was the same time they renamed it and split out PDF.

In 1980, the SPF FDP which was 5787-XT2 (Structured Programming Facility)
became the SPF product 5668-009 (System Productivity Facility), installed
under SMP, which does not support a PDS with RECFM=VB.

The vast majority of CLIST/REXX libraries are defined with FB/80.
Before you define one with VB/255, remember that you can NOT concatenate it
with existing FB/80 libraries.

Of course, it would be nice if concatenated CLIST/REXX libraries could be FB
and VB, but I'm not sure IBM will make it possible in the future.  Most of my
products use the GETSEQ/GETDIR/GETMBR run-time routines which allow the
concatenation of sequential and partitioned data sets with different DCB
attributes.  If I do it, IBM could do it also.

--
Gilbert Saint-Flour
GSF Software