In
<32208482.1252616974481.javamail.r...@elwamui-cypress.atl.sa.earthlink.net>,
on 09/10/2009
   at 05:09 PM, Lizette Koehler <stars...@mindspring.com> said:

>I think the Lrecl80 came from the punch card days.  The people I worked
>with back in 1980 preferred the 80 byte record because they came from
>punch cards.

Well, I started with EAM cards and I prefer RECFM=VB, LRECL=255.

>I do not recall when we were able to go from the 24x80 screen to
>mod3/mod4/mod5.

The 3278-5 and the 3290 have been around for about three decades.

>With the advances of screen szie (162x??)

I don't recall anything with that size; the 3290 was a maximum of 160
across. Of course, you can always define custom screen sizes in your 3270
simulator, but then you can do substantially more than 162 across.