On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:32:24 -0800 (PST), StevePratt
<steve_pr...@isp.state.il.us> wrote:

>> As an aside, what is a good abbreviation for mainframe than m_f?
>>

>And my response is that I call a mainframe a computer.  Or sometimes I
>call a mainframe a real computer.  As opposed to PCs; where PC stands
>for pretend computer.  Or TC, toy computer.  Or the British affection
>"Toy Town."

Of course, there are "computers" embedded in equipment that rival in
power mainframes that I have worked in.

But in a different direction - does it serve a useful purpose anymore
to separate out the blue box in our computer room from the pink box?
Sure, the pink box runs Solaris, and the blue box could run Linux. It
can feel good to call "my" computer a mainframe, but it may be poor
marketing to the decision makers who are planning our shop's future.