On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 19:04 -0600, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:04:44 -0800, Guy Gardoit wrote:
>
> >What?!?   Not sure how'd you define "decent" but I don't see the point of
> >this statement at all.   ServerPac and SMP/E (not to mention HCD) are
> >excellent products.  If you're trying to compare installing and maintaining
> >IBM mainframe software to say, Windows, please don't make me laugh - wait
> >until Friday to make nonsense statements like this.
> >
> Hardly nonsense.  On Win or Mac, when Firefox tells me it
> needs an update, I click on "Update".  A few minutes later,
> it tells me to restart Firefox to activate the update.
> I click "Restart Firefox" to warmstart.  Two clicks and
> its done.
>
> With ServerPac and SMP/E ... ?

I really think you'd like CA's Mainframe 2.0. It is more like Firefox.
Of course, when it comes to SMP/E, I want to be able to review all the
various holds. Because they sometimes require actions which SMP/E cannot
take for me. Such as when a message changes and I might need to change
my automation rules. Firefox is "so simple" that updating it does not
affect other applications. Updating Windows is more likely to screw up
something that currently works. Linux, with rpm and/or apt, is less
likely due to its validation of compatibility between packages. Which is
based on the programmers' specifying it correctly in the packages. But
that assumes that you can get the application you want in a package
which is compatible with your Linux distribution and other packages. If
you every install a Linux app manually, they "you're on your own" about
making sure it will still run when you update something. Which really
beats Window's "DLL Hell".

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><