that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com> writes:
> 2nd hand tale of some of the competitors testimony in gov./ibm
> anti-trust trial ... all computer manufacturers knew by the late 50s
> that the single most important factor in the market place was to have a
> compatible architecture across the whole machine line ... and they
> weren't able to get all the different plant managers to toe the line
> ... different plant managers responsible for different models would do
> various optimizations for the particular technology that they were
> using. Only Watson prevailed in forcing all the plant managers
> (responbile for the different models) to toe the 360 architecture
> comptability line.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#45 360 programs on a z/10

so some number of business reporters from the auto show this week
commented that the us auto industry is making statements that they need
to be agile and adaptable to react to changing consumer preferences and
market conditions in order to compete with foreign competitors.

in the 90/91 time-frame the us auto industry had C4 task force meetings
about how to become more profitable and compete with foreign competitors
and invited some number of technology vendors to participate. they
detailed that big inhibitor was the long product cycle (from idea to
rolling off the line) of 7-8 yrs ... when the foreign competitors had
cut their cycle to 3-4 yrs and looked to be in process of cutting that
in half (18-24 months). the industry had a bunch of details on what was
needed ...  as well as looking to technology vendors for help in
improving the process as well as cutting the elapsed time. One of the
examples used was corvette design which tended to have very tight
space/size tolerances ... and between initial design and actually
starting to manufacture ... several components would have changed size
and shape ... and no longer fit (requiring expensive redesign & delay).

I chided some of the pok/mainframe attendees about it might be difficult
for them to offer advice, since at the time, they were in similar product
cycle situation.

In any case, while in the C4 meetings it was possible for them to
clearly articulate all the problems and what all the changes that were
required (including being more agile and adaptable), they didn't seem to
be actually able to do anything ... all the major stakeholders seemed to
have vested interest in preserving the status quo.

misc past posts mentioning Boyd &/or OODA-loops (OODA-loops being one of
the best paradigms for characterizing agile and adaptable ... especially
in competitive situations; in the past, I had sponsored Boyd's briefings
at IBM):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subboyd.html

misc. past posts mentioning C4 task force meetings:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000f.html#41 Reason Japanese cars are assembled in
the US (was Re: American bigotry)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000f.html#43 Reason Japanese cars are assembled in
the US (was Re: American bigotry)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#36 Newbie TOPS-10 7.03 question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003i.html#61 TGV in the USA?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004h.html#22 Vintage computers are better than
modern crap !
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006.html#43 Sprint backs out of IBM outsourcing
deal
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#14 Program execution speed
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006g.html#20 The Pankian Metaphor
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006m.html#49 The Pankian Metaphor (redux)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#29 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#34 U.S. Cedes Top Spot in Global IT
Competitiveness
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007i.html#13 U.S. Cedes Top Spot in Global IT
Competitiveness
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007j.html#33 IBM Unionization
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007n.html#31 IBM obsoleting mainframe hardware
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007q.html#4 Horrid thought about Politics,
President Bush, and Democrats
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008c.html#22 Toyota Beats GM in Global Production
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008c.html#68 Toyota Beats GM in Global Production
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008e.html#30 VMware signs deal to embed software
in HP servers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008e.html#31 IBM announced z10 ..why so fast...any
problem on z 9
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008f.html#50 Toyota's Value Innovation: The Art of
Tension
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008h.html#65 Is a military model of leadership
adequate to any company, as far as it based most on authority and discipline?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008i.html#31 Mastering the Dynamics of Innovation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#2 Republican accomplishments and Hoover
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#50 update on old (GM) competitiveness
thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008k.html#58 Mulally motors on at Ford
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008m.html#21 Fraud due to stupid failure to test
for negative
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008m.html#52 Are family businesses unfair
competition?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008n.html#4 Michigan industry
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008p.html#77 Tell me why the taxpayer should be
saving GM and Chrysler (and Ford) managers & shareholders at this stage of the
game?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008q.html#22 Is Pride going to decimate the auto
Industry?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009f.html#20 What is the real basis for business
mess we are facing today?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009i.html#2 China-US Insights on the Future of the
Auto Industry
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009i.html#3 IBM interprets Lean development's
Kaizen with new MCIF product
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009i.html#10 64 Cores -- IBM is showing a
prototype already
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009i.html#31 Why are z/OS people reluctant to use
z/OS UNIX?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009o.html#67 I would like to understand the
professional job market in US. Is it shrinking?

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970