zMan wrote:
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Greg Shirey <wgshi...@benekeith.com> wrote:

The List Owner has suggested the following:

"You should read through ALL of your IBM-MAIN email before responding to
any post! I can't believe many of you dont."

Common sense should suggest the same. You look foolish when you reply to a
thread that's already been beaten to death. Hey, I know, let's discuss THIS
for 40 or 50 more posts...

Not just common sense. RFC 1855 (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html), prepared by Responsible Use of the Network (RUN) Working Group of the IETF, contains this admonishment with respect to processing email:

<RFC 1855 Text>
In general, it's a good idea to at least check all your mail subjects before responding to a message. Sometimes a person who asks you for help (or clarification) will send another message which effectively says "Never Mind".
</RFC 1855 Text>

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc