AMATERSE takes to much time for us ... so we use XMIT .
the secret is to perform DFDSS relese to the DFDSS dump datasets before
running XMIT on them , this ensure the successful return of the datasets to
MAINFRAME .
the data isn't legible for Windown although there is some XMIT manager for
window but it won't help you to much cause it's DFDSS DUMP those XMIT
datasets contain. so they must be restored to the mainframe .
one idea we consider is to use Shai Hess product MFnetDisk (it is now free)
 to make a WINDOWS disk to be shown to the mainframe then to backup those
disk . MFnetdisk can also emulate tapes.
we didn't use shai hess product cause we want to save the backup proccess
"simple" and not involve any other product then those usually supported by
the z/OS .

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:55:19 +0300, Matan Cohen wrote:
> >
> >we found that it will be the best solution for us is to backup our DATA to
> >disk and then send it to other more cheaper platform (windows) which will
> >manage the writing to tapes.
> >
> What format for transfer to Windows without loss of data?  AMATERSE?
> Other?  Are the data legible on Windows, or must they be restored
> to mainframe?
>
> -- gil

best regards,
matan cohen