In a recent note, David Andrews said:

> Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:30:34 -0500
>
> Almost without exception, messages that appear on your console are
> prefixed with a unique message number ("IEC501A" in the example above).
> If you have "Messages and Codes" books available to you, you can look up
> this message to get a detailed description.
>
> If you don't have access to the books (either paper or on CD), you can
> try to look up the message number online with IBM's LookAt service:
>         http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/bkserv/lookat/

You can shortcut this to, e.g.:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/os390/lookat.cmd?msgid=IEC501A&release=ZOS%2FV1R5

I, and doubtless many others have scripts to do this on our
preferred desktops such as Solaris, OS X, and z/OS Unix (in
my case.)

But in this case, it's particularly useless, displaying only the
message template with symbolic substitution text identifiers; no
indication what any of them mean, nor any System Action nor any
suggested Programmer Action.

> (though the service appears to be down just this moment -- sigh).

It was up; down a couple minutes; up again; while I've been
testing my example.

-- gil
--
StorageTek