On Wednesday, 09/13/2006 at 01:24 AST, Walter
Farrell/Poughkeepsie/[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 9/13/2006 12:45 PM, McKown, John wrote:
> > Yes, they do. I didn't phrase it very well. My arthritis is acting up
> > big time and my typing is suffering. But they don't get any "warning"
> > and a few people (ftp users) are complaining. WAD is the best that I
can
> > give them.
>
> Are they complaining about the lack of warning, or are they not aware
> that they can change their password during the ftp authentication
process?

A gender-neutral automated FTP client would not be able to deal with an
expired password as there is nothing in the FTP protocol that deals with
user password expiry or administration.

Humans can read the returned text and see it telling them about
old/new/new (or whatever).  For an automated process, I'd use non-expiring
passwords and an encrypted FTP control connection to avoid the problem
(while creating another), all waiting for the day I can login to FTP using
SSL/TLS telnet Express Logon-like technology and avoid passwords
altogether.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott