Charles Mills wrote:
Sure. True quick-and-dirties. My product supports DD overrides using the
typical "second parameter" convention. I have an assembler program to
exercise that feature. It consists of a LINK macro and a few DCs. Reentrance
would be overkill.

You've hit a "sore spot" with me. In my experience, anything (not just a program) that starts out as a "One Off" or "Quick & Dirty" implementation often has a way of eventually being used for daily, production use. There's always time to do something over but never enough time to do it right the first time.

Like others on this list, I write 99% reentrant code and believe that non-reentrant programs and programming techniques should generally be discouraged, _especially_ when working with less experienced programmers. Of course, there are always exceptional cases in which reentrancy can/should not be used. But focusing on such exceptions gives the false impression that they are more numerous than they actually are. Bad habits are harder to unlearn than to never learn in the first place.

I think everyone reading this can agree that adding something like what's shown below to a program skeleton is trivial:

|     STORAGE OBTAIN,LENGTH=MyWkLen
|     LR    Rx,R1
|     USING MyWk,Rx
|     .
|     . (program here)
|     .
|MyWk           DSECT ,
|               .
|               . (data here)
|               .
|MyWkLen        EQU   *-MyWk

In my code, the DSECT usually precedes the code, but that's a topic for another thread ... on ASSEMBLER-LIST.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc