<snip>

> You are probably better off releasing the software, hoping in
> your heart
> that you are not violating someone's patent, and face the
> consequences
> later.

If I do it for a company, then that is the company's look out. I doubt
that I could be directly sued.

But what if I do something "on my own" and think it would be useful to
others? If I release it and violate a patent, there is a chance
(probably slight) that I could loose everything I own. In my paranoia,
this means that I would be better off never releasing any software at
all. Especially if said software is "no cost". As I have been
considering doing with a Java application that I'm messing around with
at home.

What about stuff on the CBT? I actually have a couple of applications
there. One might even have been patentable (how to emulate an automatic
tape library under FlexES or Hercules/390 running MVS 3.8j - couldn't
test FlexES 'cause I don't have it. But it does work for MVS 3.8j on
Hercules/390).

<snip>

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.