Dave Salt wrote:
Ted MacNEIL said:

Why is this a limitation to ISPF?
ISPF doesn't maintain DB2 tables; DB2 does.

Dave Salt said:

Why *isn't* it a limitation of ISPF? ISPF is the user interface to the mainframe, in just the same way as Windows is the user interface to the PC. If I'm working on my PC and I click a PDF document, Windows opens the Adobe reader.

John Giltner said:

Windows does not do this on its own. Windows has no clue how to read a PDF file. You have a program that knows how and this program tells Windows when you see a file that ends in .pdf then you need to execute me.

I know that Windows doesn't read the PDF file. In the above I said "Windows opens the Adobe reader".

The point that was being made by the original poster was that regular ISPF only keeps track of files that ISPF knows how to deal with. For anything else (e.g. DB2 tables) he has no way to keep track of whats on the mainframe other than (a) purchase a vendor product or (b) write a program.

I may still be missing the point. Just how is Windows any different? If you buy Windows from a store and install on a PC, download a PDF file, double click it, what will happen? Nothing. Windows has no way to keep track of whats on it with out installing either a purchased, self-written, or a free program.

You need to install something that in most instances, not all, will tell Windows what to do.