Ed Gould wrote:
You bring up an interesting question (to me). I wonder if anyone did during the Y2K testing try a date later that 2042.

STCKE/ETOD etc. are architected to allow TOD clock values beyond 2042. But, the TOD clock itself has not yet been extended on the left. Bit position 51 is still incremented every microsecond. See "Timing" -> "Time-of-Day Clock" -> "Format" in POP:

[IBM Documentation]
The  TOD  clock  is  a 104-bit register.   It is a binary counter with the
format shown in the following illustration.

[nice picture snipped out for text-based post]

The TOD clock nominally is incremented by adding a one in bit position  51
every  microsecond.    In  models  having  a higher or lower resolution, a
different bit position is incremented at such a frequency that the rate of
advancing the clock is the same as if a one were added in bit position  51
every  microsecond.    The  resolution  of  the TOD clock is such that the
incrementing rate is comparable to the instruction-execution rate  of  the
model.
[/IBM Documentation]

--
Edward E Jaffe