>Well, that's what I am attempting to do. Did I mention that the
>vendor is IBM? And that the product is developed in the same
>location as WLM? In Germany, no less?

Well, unfortunately, there are still too many people out there in
software development that don't have a clue what z/OS UNIX really
means.

Porting software from one OS to another implies a certain level of
knowledge on both OSs, IMHO. When porting to z/OS UNIX, there is yet
another key player that needs to be factored in: MVS! Most ports
probably are more or less easy to do. However, there are techniques
that work perfectly in a "pure" UNIX but will fail miserably or become
CPU hogs on z/OS UNIX because MVS was not designed to work that way.

When porting big applications or servers to z/OS UNIX the developers
must be willing to change the design here and there to cope with
z/OS UNIX and MVS behaviour. This makes the difference between a
successful port and a not so successful one.

I'm *not* meaning to give offence to anybody!

Since there *is* z/OS UNIX which *is* XPG compliant, there seems to
be no need to know about the MVS part, so people don't get educated
on MVS and, worse, are not even told to get advice from MVS people.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse