>Date:    Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:46:45 +0200
>From:    "Vernooy, C.P. - SPLXM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Are there tasks that don't play by WLM's rules

>The problem here is, that WLM is not capable of managing its children
>when they are a little more exotic than the usual kids in class. or at
>least, it is not capable of reporting meaningfully about them. E.g. if I
>organize 100 TSO users to repeatedly enter a transaction at the same
>time, I bet WLM will fully panic and report PI's in the 100's, although
>performance might be good.

Not so.  If the 100 TSO users have response time goals, then there is a
good chance that many, if not all of them will achieve their goal. The
issue is with velocity goals.  John Arwe wrote a paper many years ago that
is still true.

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/wlm/documents/velocity/velocity.html

If the MPL of a given service class period can change significantly during
the day, then the velocity achieved can also vary significantly, and a
velocity goal is not very effective.

In the PeopleSoft case I referenced earlier, the PI with a velocity goal
for DDF ranged from .1 to 10.0 across 24 hours, even though the response
time was always acceptable. The fix there is to use response time goals, as
Martin also said.

In Barbara's case, I would like the product has to be re-engineered to
signal completion of its transactions so that she could use response time
goals.  As this is unlikely, I would suggest running the product in SYSSTC.
I don't like making that recommendation, as it makes me feel like a Unix
weenie, but it would at least ensure the transactions were given the best
service possible and avoid any possible finger pointing from users.

regards, Tom

Tom Russell

"Stay calm.  Be brave.  Wait for the signs." -- Jasper FriendlyBear
"... and remember to leave good news alone." -- Gracie HeavyHand