Peter Hunkeler writes some good stuff about z/OS Unix;
> PMFJI, but the last few remarks about being "ported from open world"
> made me think. So here are a few thoughts related to z/OS UNIX:
> <details of BPXAS behaviors snipped>

Exactly. Execution velocity as a goal mechanism has been a really bad
idea since the very beginning, but it would be tough to get that horse
back in the barn!

WLM is just a B-average accountant with a minor in statistics. It has to
see a sufficient number of samples in order to even guess at what's
going on and unless the application is properly instrumented to signal
its own internal transaction begin/end/delay, all you can get from WLM
is exactly that: a guess.

For transactional applications you need a scalpel and execution velocity
is just a blunt object. What you have is a somewhat volatile
transactional application masquerading as a STC and _NOT_ using the
reporting interfaces that would allow WLM to make any sense of what is
going on.

Unfortunately for such a situation there is no such thing as a
meaningful execution velocity that WLM _COULD_ "manage" this type of
work the way you want. For that reason, I agree with Mark Z, Shane and
others; plunk that bad-boy in SYSSTC. It won't be explicitly "managed"
but it will get serviced when it needs to and that's really what you're
trying to accomplish.

Then get your boss to go scream at the vendor to put proper
instrumentation into their product. There's not a lot else you can do.

CC
(Did I mention velocity was a bad idea?)