My first "real" job was in 1984 with Texas American (Bank) Services in
Fort Worth.  When I started we were in the process of "insourcing" all
of our applications from EDS and one of the first three we brought back
in house was ATM processing (followed by ACH and Corporate Trust).  TASI
built a new operations center in Bedford to be closer to the airport
(for cash letter transit) and Memorial Day weekend, 1984 we moved two
3890 sorters, a 3083, 4341 and a 370/148.  During the move, IBM loaned
us a 4341 and DASD that ran the ATMs and the interface to PULSE for the
weekend.

Does anyone remember the CICS-based ATM software that the old MTech
wrote and marketed?  Later on in 1985 I did a tour of duty with UCCEL's
ACM/CTS (Asset Card Manager/Consumer Transaction System) CICS=based ATM
/ card management software.

Gary

Pat O'Keefe said;
> That sounds pretty much like the way it works at a bank I am
> somewhat famiiar with (i.e., my employer).

Chris Craddock said;

Yep! And oh by the way, it also sounds exactly like the bank that was my
employer twenty-mumble years ago. Tandems are extremely common as
front-end switch systems in the financial sector. They are not so widely
used to process the actual back-end trx and dbms work, but there are
quite a few of those too. They did (and still do) a very decent job of
it.