On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:14:56 +0800, Johnny Luo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was reading the manual for an explanation of CPU lock:
>
>CPU lock -- provides MVS-recognized (valid) disablement for I/O and
>external interrupts.
>
>The manual gives a further explanation:
>
>MVS does not guarantee preservation of the interrupt status of
>programs that explicitly disable for I/O and external interrupts
>through the STNSM instruction.
>

>What does 'does not guarantee' mean?

I think it is probably pointing out one case (among many) where the mere
fact that the zArchitecture Principles of Operations describes some
instruction does not mean that it's OK for you to use it.   Many of the
system control instructions can interfere with the way z/OS runs the system,
and inappropriate use of those instructions may harm your application or the
entire system.

--
  Walt