On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:20:49 -0600, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>It is no doubt futile to try to reign in this thread, but many of the
>
>For me, key points are:
>
>1) OMVS works in a pinch, but I'm not the only one that finds it painful.
>OEDIT or OBROWSE commands get you back into an ISPF dialog so that you can
>flip around with other dialogs / splits, etc.

And I assume that in that ISPF dialog you could enter "TSO OMVS" on
the command line.  But that creates a new OMVS session.  You can't
swap back and forth neither to the original OMVS session nor to the
dialog(s) in the split adjacent to that from which you launched it.

>2) ISPF can't handle "pseudo full duplex" 3270 sessions (like VM/CMS,
>MVS/Console, etc.), so it is not obvious that a really nice OMVS replacement
>could be written as an ISPF dialog.

"not obvious", or even "obviously not"?

>3)  ISHELL can be used not only as a filesystem navigator, but also to enter
>shell commands.  It is an ISPF dialog, so doesn't suffer in the same ways as
>OMVS.

It suffers in some of the same ways; in some ways different, even worse.
Principally, it's basically a batch protocol; you don't see output until
the shell command completes.  You can't even tell whether it's looping,
perhaps spewing to stdout.

It might even be a better option to enter the shell command in a BPXBATCH
or BPXWUNIX batch job.  At least that way you can monitor its output with
SDSF or ISV replacements.

>4) If you want a real Unix shell, your best bet is to use a (non-3270)
>Telnet or SSH shell.  (Putty on Windows or  "ssh" on Linux are good choices)

Yes.

-- gil