On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:33:23 +0000, Roy Hewitt wrote:

>See the following as an example of how to include such data instream
>using standard IBM utilities. This example includes Terse output (but
>could easily be Transmit), that has been reformatted as 64 bytes and
>offset to pos 3.

Thanks for suggesting the utilities.

Hmmm.  The largest divisor of 80 I could use is 40.  This cuts the
efficency to 50% from your 80% with TERSE.  That's still acceptable,
and I don't need TERSE which is not yet a standard IBM utility at
all supported releases.

I've done similar with uuencode as a test.

All things considered, I'd prefer not to frighten the customer with
complexity; I'll continue my trial-and-error search for a delimiter.
If I use only alphabetics and numerics, there are 3844 candidate
digraphs, which exceeds the number of records in my current TRANSMIT
archive, so I'm guaranteed a success; and even with a larger archive
the chance of failure is negligible.  In fact, it has always succeeded
for my data on the first trial.

I tried the experiment of putting a few records of all slashes in
my source PDS.  I did get '//' in 1-2, so my hopeful conjecture is
refuted.

Thanks again,
gil