On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:47:24 -0500, John Eells wrote:

>See APAR OA19194, which makes AMATERSE, alias TRSMAIN, available on z/OS
>R7 and up.  That's all supported releases since R6 is out of service and
>AMATERSE is included in z/OS R9.  The PTFs closed 4 November 2007.  They
>are:
>
>UA36927 - z/OS R7
>UA36928 - z/OS R8

Thanks.  Experimenting on R9.

Hmmm.  I see DD names are now SYSUT1 and SYSUT2 instead of
INFILE and OUTFILE.  I guess Standards is Good.  Does it now
respect alternate DD name lists?

But, YA case of anti-Unix-System-Services bigotry:

If I code:

    //* =========================================================
    //TESTC    EXEC  PGM=AMATERSE,PARM=UNPACK
    //* STEPLIB   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=&STEPLIB
    //SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=(,)
    //SYSUT1    DD   UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(CYL,0),
    //  RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=20480
    //          DD PATHOPTS=ORDONLY,FILEDATA=BINARY,
    //  RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=20480,
    //  PATH='/u/user/pmr70484.tersed'
    //SYSUT2    DD DISP=(,PASS),UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(10,10,&DIR))
    //*
    //* =========================================================

... it runs fine with:

    ********************************* TOP OF DATA **************************
    ** AMA572I STARTING TERSE DECODE   UNPACK       18:16:21  01/29/2008 ****
    ** AMA527I  INPUT  - DDNAME : SYSUT1   DSNAME:
SYS08029.T181620.RA000.TERSEHFS.R
    ** AMA528I  OUTPUT - DDNAME : SYSUT2   DSNAME:
SYS08029.T181620.RA000.TERSEHFS.R
    ** AMA555I  THE VALUES ARE:  BLKSIZE= 4160    LRECL=4160    PACKTYPE=SPACK
 REC
    ** AMA573I TERSE COMPLETE DECODE   UNPACK       18:16:38  01/29/2008 ****
    ** AMA504I  RETURN CODE: 0
    ******************************** BOTTOM OF DATA ************************

... but if I omit the empty CKD data set:

    //* =========================================================
    //TESTD    EXEC  PGM=AMATERSE,PARM=UNPACK
    //* STEPLIB   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=&STEPLIB
    //SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=(,)
    //SYSUT1    DD PATHOPTS=ORDONLY,FILEDATA=BINARY,
    //  RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=20480,
    //  PATH='/u/user/pmr70484.tersed'
    //SYSUT2    DD DISP=(,PASS),UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(10,10,&DIR))
    //*
    //* =========================================================

... it fails dreadfully with:

    ********************************* TOP OF DATA **************************
    ** AMA572I STARTING TERSE DECODE   UNPACK       18:16:38  01/29/2008 ****
    ** AMA527I  INPUT  - DDNAME : SYSUT1   DSNAME: ...PATH=.SPECIFIED...
    ** AMA557E  FOR INPUT - ONLY SEQUENTIAL DATA SETS ARE SUPPORTED AT THIS TIME
    ** AMA564E  THIS IS NOT A RECOGNIZABLE TERSED DATA SET
    ** AMA573I TERSE COMPLETE DECODE   UNPACK       18:16:38  01/29/2008 ****
    ** AMA504I  RETURN CODE: 12
    ******************************** BOTTOM OF DATA ************************

... Hmmm.  "AT THIS TIME".  Does this mean there's hope for the
near future?  Why do they do this?  Are they insufficiently
motivated to test with all device types, and too ethical to
deny supporting something they haven't tested?  (People speak
of a time when TRSMAIN (not AMATERSE) was documented as not
supporting tape data sets, although the same people found it
appeared to work.)  In any case, uniform behavior over the
range of device types ought to be the responsibility of the
access method, not of the utility employing it.

-- gil