Physical destruction of DASD such as that described by George is probably the
"purest" form of data destruction. However, if my understanding of the various
compliance requirements is correct, it would need to be witnessed by someone
from
the owning organisation in order to provide formal verification.

The downside of physically destroying the media as against using a certified
erase solution to remove the contents is that the obsolete storage media can
never be acquired on a lease-basis given that the box is not going to be able to
be returned intact when the lease would have expired. For storage subsystems
that
have been purchased, there's no way that any residual value that the box might
contain can be realised.

Using a secure storage santisation or overwriting methodology, once the data has
been removed, it's then possible to put out requests to second hand equipment
dealers to submit an offer to acquire the box and remove it and at least get
some
dollars back.

Stephen Mednick
Computer Supervisory Services