Ed,

I've been told the same thing.  I worked SBLC for the AF, and we were
told that data could be recovered after up to 7 rewrites, and the
methodology was based on signal strength analysis.  I.E. You read the
sector of a hard disk umpteen millions of times and get enough samples
of it to determine what was written there last time, overwritten once,
overwritten twice, etc, based on the signal degradation created by
overwrite.

Our destruction procedures were based on these assumptions.  We had to
do massive overwrites and then physically take apart, scratch, and then
bend old HDAs (3375/3380 drives) before they could go to DRMO for metal
recycling.  And the "new fangled" PC hard drives were degaussed, and
then melted in an incinerator for good measure.

I don't know how true the "recovery after x overwrites" is either, but
this is what we were trained on, and the paranoid procedures we
followed.

I'd be interested to see what methodology is used to ensure the data is
really gone from IBM hard drives today, particularly with these massive
RAIDs we all seem to use!

Gary Diehl
MVS Support
"The glass is neither half full or half empty; the engineer who designed
the glass simply allowed for a 100% increase in fluid storage."