> Stephan:
>
> It comes down purely (IMO) how valuable the data is. If its
> nuclear bomb data (or the like) then I would suggest that
> cost is not an issue.

Ed,

it's not a case of how valuable the data is, more importantly it's to do with
what the security classification is that has been assigned to the data.
Depending
on the data's security classification dictates the media
overwriting/sanitisation
method that is it be deployed in accordance with government requirements.

You'll find that these days most organisations are required to have a designated
IT Security Advisor whose job it is to keep abreast of compliance regulations
and
requirements and ensure that they are being applied across the organisation and
that corporate governance is being properly maintained. For heaven's sake, lets
not bring the lawyers into this!!!

I think this thread is developing the symptoms of drifting OT so let's try and
hold it here.

Stephen Mednick
Computer Supervisory Services
Sydney, Australia