>Unless there is some weird legislative standard which says that encryption is
>fine for transmission of data over open IP networks, but is not fine for
resundant data held on permanent storage.

I'm interpreting this from a Canadian perspective, but after working for a
company headquartered in the US, I don't believe there are any legislative
standards.

SOX, et al, say you have to protect your data.
They don't say how, since they are not IT professionals.

It's up to your:
SME's
Compliance officers
And, auditors -- external and internal.