< SNIP >
> But none of these anecdotes answer my question: would you
> feel happy after, for instance, a DR test, to know that the
> DASD you used contained only encrypted data and that the
> VTOC's had been overwritten? More importantly, would this
> ensure compliance with the standards required?
>
> I ask because ther seems to be a couple of contradictory
> issues involved: in some jurisdictions a standard of
> encryption is considered to be a requirement when sending
> data offsite, be it over the wires or in some other portable
> format. In other words, the authorities accept that once it
> has been encrypted and adeqaute care is taken over key
> exchange, then you have fulfilled the requiremnts to protect
> your data. Yet deleted data seems to require another standard
> - or does it?
>
> In the same vein, if you are decommisioning DASD, or removing
> yourself from a hot-site, would encrypting your data be
> adequate both to satisy compliancy requirements and to make
> you feel comfortable yourelves? I assume the re-init at the
> least of the volumes afterwards, of course. Even the entries
> of a VTOC could be valuable.

< SNIP >

Your idea would appear to have some merit but I am not aware of any facility to
be able to encrypt data in-place (I may be wrong) and from my knowledge, it's
usually the case that the data is to be read through an encryption facility,
apply an encryption key and then write out the encrypted data.

Therefore, I can't see how you could conceivably encrypt existing data in-place.
If using a software encryption tool, there is usually a high price to pay in
terms of CPU cycles to undertake the encryption process and to try and encrypt
an
entire volume could prove fairly costly, time-wise at the completion of a DR
exercise.

Compare the time to encrypt in the manner you are suggesting to a software
product that is quoted as being able to erase 3 Terrabytes of data in less than
2
hours.

By the way, the folks on this list would probably appreciate it if you could
sign
your posts.

Stephen Mednick
Marketing & Support Manager