There are several data protection standards applying over here in Europe, but
I would guess that I could at least  defend myself to SOX auditors if I chose
to use encryption in the scenarios I described. Alas, your mileage may vary in
all of these things.

My interest in the subject is at the theoretical one, which would hold that an
adequate standard of encryption should allow you to leave data wherever it
lies and not to worry about it so long as the finder doesn't have the key.

Thanks for the replies!

Niall