I've heard from my Amdahl days that the decommissioned machines had to be
destroyed rather than returned for their parts value - and that the destruction
was pretty definitive.

But none of these anecdotes answer my question: would you feel happy after,
for instance, a DR test, to know that the DASD you used contained only
encrypted data and that the VTOC's had been overwritten? More importantly,
would this ensure compliance with the standards required?

I ask because ther seems to be a couple of contradictory issues involved: in
some jurisdictions a standard of encryption is considered to be a requirement
when sending data offsite, be it over the wires or in some other portable
format. In other words, the authorities accept that once it has been
encrypted and adeqaute care is taken over key exchange, then you have
fulfilled the requiremnts to protect your data. Yet deleted data seems to
require another standard - or does it?

In the same vein, if you are decommisioning DASD, or removing yourself from a
hot-site, would encrypting your data be adequate both to satisy compliancy
requirements and to make you feel comfortable yourelves? I assume the re-init
at the least of the volumes afterwards, of course. Even the entries of a VTOC
could be valuable.

I'd be interested to se what the Innovation Data Processing people would
have to say on this as they provide both encryption and erase products. One
of them - short of huge performance factors which wouldn't really be an issue
when decommisioning DASD- would appear to be redundant.

Unless there is some weird legislative standard which says that encryption is
fine for transmission of data over open IP networks, but is not fine for
resundant data held on permanent storage.