"Denis G"äbler"" <denisgaeb...@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:<8cb40acc0589804-abc-...@webmail-dx19.sysops.aol.com>...
>  For video on demand databases are too slow.
> You would use a streaming server, for which I don't know any available for
System z OS except VM Stairs.
> In addition, a streaming server would serve a stream, so you need a small
buffer (e.g. 128MB) and fast DASD for 1000 Users.

> For the 64Bit discussion, as long as LE cannot mix 64Bit and 31Bit
modules, what is the benefit?

There are existing SHARE requirements for a 3 phased approach to "mixed
31-/64-bit" LE support

1) Document what actually works today (as Assembler can "shift" something
needs to document what happens when "both sides" activate LE applications

2) SUPPORT fixed 31-/-64 but with separately owned LE resources on both
sides

3) Full mixed mode application support

  ***

As we haven't even seen "phase 1" implemented yet, I don't know how soon I
will expect phases 2 or 3.  I am, however with you that providing 64-bit
COBOL support for applications that are TOTALLY 64-bit and can't
"communicate easily/transparently" with 31-bit code is a "non-starter" for
real world use in z/OS COBOL shops.

I suppose, I wouldn't object to seeing it, but if IBM used lack of
interest/use of it to delay providing MIXED 31-/64-bit support, then I would
definitely NOT be happy.