On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, R.S. wrote:

<snip>
> How much will you pay for the enhancements you don't need?

A very good point! In our case, we could still run effectively using VS
COBOL II, CICS/TS 1.3, and z/OS 1.6. We are basically stabilized at that
level. If the costs today were what they were back then, we might even
stay on the "z". But IBM decides, based on who-knows-what, that new
functionality is needed and will be paid for regardless of __our__ needs
and wants. I think it is like the "arms race". IBM ups the ante on
software, so their competitors must respond, and then IBM must "see their
raise and raise you $... more" or "fold". (to mix a metaphor).

Is it any wonder that I like Linux and FOSS software? In that, __I__ do
have greater influence (Don't talk to me about SHARE). How? Simply by
joining the development group (or the testing group) and feeding back to
the developers. Who are, generally, not run by profit. Well, at least,
that's my take on it. FWIW (not much).

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown