John McKown pisze:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:11:36 -0500, David Andrews <d...@lists.duda.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 14:11 -0600, John McKown wrote:
OK - how much money, in the form of licensing cost, are you willing to pay
to get 64 bit addressing in COBOL?
What I already pay today, for a current COBOL compiler backed by
developers and support staff.

--
David Andrews

Unless I totally misunderstand you, you want enhancements to COBOL for the
price of the current COBOL.

I have a question. Are you paying the same for Enterprise COBOL that you
paid for OS/VS COBOL 2.4 (in adjusted dollars, of course)? (what about ANS
COBOL? - the freebie) No? You're paying more? Then you did pay more for a
"better" COBOL compiler. And, hopefully, you got more use from it. But,
then, you didn't pay "up front" (as I may have implied) and you didn't
really have a choice, unless you don't mind being unsupported. Until
recently, we actually still used the OS/VS COBOL 2.4 compiler and library
for one application. It was so weirdly coded that conversion to Enterprise
COBOL was delayed (they first tried when VS COBOL II was installed). Wish I
knew more, but I successfully avoided getting in the middle of that mess.

John,
Is COBOL compiler profitable for IBM? How much profits it provides? YOU DON'T KNOW! We don't know. ...and maybe even IBM don't know *exactly*. Do you know what part of COBOL incomes are spent for development, bug fixing, support, documentation, marketing, etc? YOU DON'T KNOW!
So we don't know how much we pay for enhancements.

I pay for COBOL what IBM told me to pay. The price is not of my choice. I cannot judge what enhancements I would like to see, and what are not needed. I am not even asked for my opinion!

Do you have a choice i.e. in DB2 case? New version costs more "beacuse of numerous enhancements, blah, blah". I DON'T USE ANY OF THEM, but I have to pay more. No, staying with DB2 V4 is not an option, because it is unsupported. Which means you still have to pay, but you won't get any support. So I use current version - with unneeded enhancements and higher price. The same could apply to COBOL - some day we could see new version, "with numerous enhancements" (without AMODE(64)!) ...and higher price.
How much will you pay for the enhancements you don't need?

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.