--- On Fri, 1/9/09, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

> From: R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl>
> Subject: Re: AIX gets 64 bit COBOL but still none for Z/os ...
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Date: Friday, January 9, 2009, 7:56 AM
> Is there any reason to have 64-bit
> COBOL on z/OS ?
> Of course except satisfaction when watching AMODE 64 in
> ISPF member list...
>
> -- Radoslaw Skorupka
> Lodz, Poland

Radoslaw:

Yes there is. Just last month the *OLD* table problem popped up. User needs
LARGE in storage table (10G). Her only option was to write the file to a VSAM
data set and do inquiries on it with I/O. The run time (even with CI's in
memory) was about 4 hours. She did a rough quicky assembler and it was less
that 10 minutes (elapsed on both numbers). Now, you tell me it isn't needed.
This issue has rose time and time again. The answer is always to write an
assembler program to do it. The *OLD* write it to VSAM option is really
inexcusable, IMO. Assembler is dead (or at least almost extinct).