We have had a couple of people report that they have been successful
in using Co:Z in a z/OS jobstep to launch the Windows SAS job and pipe
it SMF data.   If you are going to do this, it would be best to set up
Co:Z for "non-tunneling" mode, so that your potentially huge file
transfers will ride on a raw socket rather than being tunneled in SSH.
  This will reduce CPU and improve network throughput.

As far as using Java - IBM has recently published some work that we
did for them in the JZOS alphaWorks project that you might want to
look at.  There is a took that allows you to map Cobol copy books or
Assembler DSECTs into Java record-mapping code.   You can run this
code on any platform, so that might be one solution to making the
process a little easier.   It still seems like a aweful lot of work to
me....

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies