Actually the U I used to work for still got educational discounts from
IBM for hardware and software purchases up till just a few years ago,
albeit thru the "business partner".

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Thompson, Steve
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:51 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Another one bites the dust

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Bob Shannon
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu

<snippage>

IBM used to give huge discounts to universities. About 15-20 or so years
ago they did away with the discounts and universities started migrating
off the mainframe. The few that are left mostly use mainframes for some
type of administrative processing. The processing done by students is
done on PCs or on eunuchs systems, where years ago the processing was
done on mainframes.  I don't think IBM failed to convince the university
in question to stay on the mainframe; I think IBM abandoned the
educational mainframe market a long time ago.
<snip>

I'm not sure, but I think there was some kind of consent decree or other
as a result of an Anti-Trust action that put the skids to this. Now that
all those have expired (I think), one might wonder when IBM will go for
this market driver again.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer. --

email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html