Yes, there are organizations that use zEnterprise servers for "heavy
numeric computation." Like decimal floating point. Cryptography is another
excellent example. And you can buy optional CryptoExpress adapters if you
want to augment the excellent capabilities found in every machine. You can
also buy the optional zBladeCenter Extension (zBX) if you want to add
DataPower accelerators, Power blades, and/or X86 blades. You can also add
an optional IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator, to boost many types of DB2
queries. So we're way ahead of you, John. ;-)

I think the simple answer is that it depends what you optimize for in
designing a server processor (or complex). But IBM has broken a lot of
"rules" already about which server should do what, and I predict more rules
will be broken.

With respect to the 370-on-a-chip, IBM sort of did that with the 1975
introduction of the IBM 5100 Portable Computer starting at $8,975 (1975
dollars), although it was for a relatively narrow initial purpose (to get
APL running). The 5100 sold reasonably well from what I've read, but I
think there were three basic problems which prevented it from becoming a
blockbuster:

1. The price was not low enough for mass market appeal. (Apple had a
similar problem with the Lisa in the early 1980s.)

2. The software selection didn't exactly hit the mark, although it was a
good try for the time. (IBM learned the value of software somewhat later in
its evolution but not in time for the 1981 IBM PC.)

3. It probably didn't have the right third party marketing and distribution
channels. With some very notable exceptions, like typewriters, at that time
IBM would have had some challenges with this type of product.

Keep in mind that for 1975 this was absolutely amazing technology, but
amazing technology required some expense. Being early is pricey. If the
5100 debuted in, say, 1977 or 1978, it would have still been well timed but
could have dramatically reduced the chip and board count. I also think the
small built-in monitor could have been sacrified (at least as an option) in
favor of a display port of some kind -- ideally RF for TV hookup. And IBM
might have gone with a diskette drive for storage -- the 5100 was too early
for the 5.25 inch drive, which debuted in 1976. Finally, if IBM had
provided a little more guidance on the 370 subset instruction set they
implemented, software developers could have taken over from there.

So I think the 5100 could have been a nice 5110 by tweaking the recipe a
bit. But history didn't happen that way.

IBM had some success with the System/4 Pi avionics processors which are
descended from System/360.

Timothy Sipples
Consulting Enterprise IT Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com