Building upon Mark and Peter's replies...

Having retired in 2005, I can’t be absolutely certain, but it is highly
likely that it is still supported, as I am finding reference to Batch LSR
when searching z/OS 2.5 manuals.

If you have MXG in your shop, potential candidates for batch LSR can be
found by running the ANALBLSR program, referring to the documentation in
member ADOCBLSR.  In effect, this will find candidate jobs where the VSAM
access is random instead of sequential.  You do not want to use LSR when
the VSAM file is accessed sequentially.

To some extent, it can be argued that Batch LSR has been superseded by
facilities within DFSMS.

System Managed Buffering(SMB) will implement LSR if all the DFSMS
constructs are in place and Direct Optimized has been chosen:

https://www.lascon.co.uk/VSAM-System-Buffers.php

For the non-DFSMS case, there are also 3rd party software products that can
be used to alter batch programs to use LSR instead of the default NSR
mode.  I was in a shop that used the Data Optimizer component of the BMC
Mainview Batch Optimizer for that purpose.  Going this route was simpler
than modifying a large number of catalogued procedures.

Note that in the rare case that you are using LSR, rather than the more
modern RLS, within CICS that you can choose specific buffer sizes for the
index and data buffer pools using Resource Definition Online.  Do not let
your heavily accessed files default to buffer pool 1, where an inferior
algorithm will be used to choose buffer assignments.

There is a very interesting GTF trace, F61,that can give you additional
insight into the random access pattern of your VSAM file accesses – both
batch and CICS.   There was a package from MKTTOOLS called VLBPAA, that was
based on the F61 GTF trace which I used extensively for gaining insight
into optimizing buffer assignments.  No one seems to have been able to
obtain this product from IBM for the past 20 years.  The results did become
slightly inaccurate with the introduction of extended format datasets which
modified the meaning of one of the fields within the GTF trace.

The use of VLBPAA and the layout of the F61 GTF trace was documented in a
1995 Redbook, SG24-2557 System/390 MVS Parallel Sysplex Batch Performance.
Additionally, that manual shows an ICETOOL job stream that can perform a
rudimentary analysis.  That book has been removed from the Redbooks web
site – fortunately I downloaded a copy before it was removed.  I can send
my copy to anyone who would like a copy.

A couple of recommendations from my experience:

(a)    Always use separate pools for the data and index.  This becomes
especially important when the index and data components have the same CI
size. For that case, the data buffers are likely to wash out the index
buffers.

(b)   If it is practical to choose enough index buffers to hold the entire
index component, then do so.

     Allan