BLSR was initially developed by Washinton System Center as an assembler
language
sample program to go along with a book they were writing about using the
Subsystem Interface.  At the time,
IBM was desperately looking for "ESA Exclusives" in order to sell 3090 machines
vs
the PCM manufacturers, who machines had not yet implemented ESA.  This sample
program happened to use one BAKR/PR, which meant that it did require ESA.

 So MVS management wanted to instead ship the program an OCO part
of the MVS BCP, and I was commanded to review the code to see what that would
entail.
I raised several objections concerning the maintainability of the code, the
lack of
serviceability (no ESTAEs, no dumping, no control block eyecatchers,  we didn't
want new assembler code), no message IDs, lack of messages and message control,
an integrity exposure, etc, etc.  Also, VSAM functionality was not really in
the BCP's
bailiwick, and we would end up having to support this code for decades.
So I recommended that we should not do this.

  But, since selling machines trumps everything, I lost that argument,
and was instead assigned to remediate all of my objections to the sample code.
I recoded  the whole thing in PL/AS and fixed all of the issues, and wrote lots
of
testcases,  and it got shipped as a PTF on top of MVS/ESA SP3.1.3.
MVS Project Management did contribute the "Batch LSR" name.

  Decades later, we continue to support it and probably always will,
but at least the right solution eventually got implemented by SMB in DFSMS.

  And now you know...  the rest of the story.

James Harvey Mulder  z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test  IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY