From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Michael Watkins
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 10:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IBM BLSR subsystem

[External Email. Exercise caution when clicking links or opening attachments.]

For the past few years, I've been looking at re-writing the ACS routines with
an eye toward making extended format datasets the default, ferreting out
datasets that cannot tolerate extended format and then assigning a DATACLAS
that includes extended formating. To my knowledge, the following cannot be in
extended format:

  * Catalogs
  * System data sets (SMS is not active at early IPL stages)
  * Temporary data sets
  * SAS-formatted data sets (?)

To help me with this task,  does anyone know of other datasets that cannot be
defined as extended format? Has anyone else considered including extended
formating as a default and encountered problems? Any advice or experiences you
could share would be appreciated.