I used to have to struggle with IBM installation manager - a package for
installing software on midrange machines.
I remember being in a hotel trying to download a fix - but Installation
Manager(IM) decided it needed to upgrade itself before doing anything.  It
took over 6 hours to download the new version of the Installation manager,
and another 2 hours to download the fix I needed!  ( I had to set my alarm
for 3 am, and 5 am to click "go"  on the install)

IBM's argument was you only need to learn one interface (IM) to install
software ( across Windows and Unix) - not realising I needed to know
Windows, Unix AND IBM's IM.

z/OSMF is inevitable - Question: where are the skills of today?  Answer:
Java.

Personally I would follow the ADCD approach and download a volume of
product libraries and its SMP/E  environment (and never use the SMP/E
environment)

Colin