We have customers (S)FTP(S)ing us data every day directly referencing the
output of IFASMFDP with DCB=RECFM=U with no problem. From our standard
instructions:

//SENDFTP EXEC PGM=FTP,PARM='(EXIT=12'
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//OUTPUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SMFFILEA DD DSN=*.SMFDMP.DUMPOUT,DCB=RECFM=U,BLKSIZE=32760,
// DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
//SYSIN DD *
ftp.pivotor.com userid password
BINARY
LOCSITE EPSV4
QUOTE EPSV
PUT //DD:SMFFILEA Company.Dyymmdd.SysplexName.SystemName.SMFU

BDWs and RDWs come through fine. (I think "quote epsv" is extraneous but it's
been in the instructions forever. LOCSITE EPSV4 can be important for getting
through some firewalls properly.)

Scott Chapman