On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 15:24:04 +0000, Pommier, Rex  wrote:

>What I remember from a discussion long ago was that the reason a VBS dataset
>can't be put back together again is that when the VBS dataset is sent to a
>Windows intermediary, some of the binary metadata defining the records and
>blocks is lost by the Windows side, making it impossible to recreate the VBS
>on the other end.  Whether this is actually true or not, that's what I recall.
> Going straight z/OS to z/OS that metadata is retained.

In another experiment with the RDW option a get from MVS to desktop put RDW
images in the data stream.  But a put back to MVS resulted in double RDWs in
the MVS data set.  It appears that coders misunderstood the intent of the
designers.

And MVS-to-MVS with STRU R caused segments of a VBS data set to be
broken into individual records.

IBM could have done better.  Any one else would have done better.

--
gil