There is too much pussyfooting going on here.  IBM clearly has
knowledge of a security exposure that is SMP/E-linked.  I have no
notion what this linkage is, but what it is will emerge, and we may
hope that IBM has eliminated it before then.

Absent this problem it would be entirely possible to use SMP/E to
maintain an application or applications without providing their
maintainers with concomitant access to the system libraries used to
maintain the operating system itself.   If, as I think it is, this is
Paul Gilmartin's point, he is right.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA