On Thu, 29 May 2014 14:55:47 -0400, zMan wrote:

>I remember my father telling me that core -- REAL memory, a MAN'S memory
>(yeah, yeah, sexist) -- was $1/byte. Obviously that would have changed by
>the time it all went solid-state, but does anyone remember whether this was
>correct or not?

I don't know about that, but when I was at Wayne State University in the early
1970's, we bought some Fairchild semiconductor memory for our System/360
model 67. Each memory box contained 256 K bytes and cost about $250,000.
This was in about 1972. I was told at the time that it was the first
commercially
available third party semiconductor memory for the System/360.

--
Tom Marchant