>>> On 5/30/2014 at 07:47 AM, "R.S." <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:
> * Virtual machines, 12TB RAM, 120 cores PC server for less than single
> book, single CP mainframe - think what Linux users would choose more
> likely.

That depends on what application(s) they want to run on that 120 core machine.
Anything priced per-core and in the tens of thousands of
dollars/euros/whatever, is going to change the cost equation drastically.
Still, too many people do focus solely on the cost of acquiring the hardware,
though, so they're liable to make the choice for the seemingly cheaper
hardware.  Explaining why that's a bad idea keeps me busy.  :)

Mark Post