<snip>
I am abending on S0C4 because getmained areas are automatically being
freed at end of step, before IEFACTRT gets control.  It is not clear to me
if SUBPOOL alone can solve the problem.  Do I need to specify
TCBADDR=TCBJSTCB on  the STORAGE macro so that the "input TCB" is the
job-step TCB?  What course is recommended?
</snip>

What is recommended is no different than for any program -- you need to
understand your environment and the termination characteristics.
If you obtained storage while the job is running, and that storage is
owned by any task within the jobstep program task tree (i.e., the task
tree with the EXEC PGM=xxxx task at the top), then that storage will have
been freed if you then run after the termination of that jobstep program
task (which is when IEFACTRT runs, I think).

Perhaps what is recommended is that your IEFACTRT exit routine not rely on
storage obtained within the jobstep program task tree.

TCBJSTCB when running under the jobstep program task tree will not be of
help. That is athe jobstep program task or a jobstep subtask of that task.
You can identify the proper task or you can get storage in a subpool that
is not owned by a task (LSQA).  If you get such storage, then it is up to
you to make sure it gets freed in a timely fashion; the system won't help
until the ownership rules indicate that it should (e.g., end of address
space for non-task-owned LSQA).

<snip>
The documentation says one can dynamically allocate within IEFACTRT but
the BPXWDYN routine returns a non-zero return code.  (Same code that works
fine in a regular program.)  Is this a limitation of BPXWDYN? Should I
code
an SVC 99 call myself?
<snip>

"Can dynamically allocate" is not the same as to "can use BPXWDYN". I
would guess that you cannot use BPXWDYN except from within the jobstep
program task tree. Why did you not post the return information from your
BPXWDYN? That might have told you what the problem was, and would have
helped the readers from having to guess.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design