On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 11:31:08 -0500, Peter Relson wrote:

>"Can dynamically allocate" is not the same as to "can use BPXWDYN". I
>would guess that you cannot use BPXWDYN except from within the jobstep
>program task tree. Why did you not post the return information from your
>BPXWDYN? That might have told you what the problem was, and would have
>helped the readers from having to guess.

Yes.

From: z/OS Using REXX and z/OS UNIX System Services
Version 2 Release 3 SA23-2283-30
    Calling conventions
    BPXWDYN must be called in 31-bit mode in an environment that permits dynamic
    allocation and dynamic output requests.

You might get more complete information about BPXWDYN from MVS-OE:
For MVS-OE subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO MVS-OE
Or: http://vm.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?MVS-OE

-- gil