On Sunday, 04/16/2006 at 04:46 EST, Stephen Frazier
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Our company is very willing to continue to pay version 3 price for
version 5. If
> IBM were to offer version 5 at version 3 price to its current customers
now
> running version 3 on flex almost all would take it.

Stephen, it wouldn't do any good for us to offer z/VM V5 to you for your
S/390 FLEX box - not at any price.  As I said at WAVV (and here,
previously):  z/VM V5 simply CANNOT run in S/390 mode.  Really.  It uses
instructions and facilities that are available ONLY in z/Architecture
(http://www.vm.ibm.com/zvm520/architecture).

For what it's worth, it won't run on a 9672 or Multiprise 3000, either.

> The fact that other
> customers with large IBM machines are paying much less for version 5
would not
> matter. When and if a company grows its flex box to where it approaches
the size
> of a small IBM box, then having VM cheaper on the IBM box will make a
> difference. It will encourage users of large flex boxes to go to an IBM
box.

z/VM V5 is already cheaper than V3 on the IBM box, so it doesn't make
sense to me that the decision to move from a large FLEX box to an IBM box
would revolve around the price of z/VM.  The acquisition costs of a
z/Architecture box appears to be the primary issue.